Railway Protection Force (RPF) ensures the safety, security and boosts the confidence of the traveling public in the Indian Railways.
- Carry on an unrelenting fight against criminals in protecting railway passengers, passenger area and railway property.
- Facilitate passenger-travel and security by removing all anti-social elements from trains, railway premises and passenger area.
- Remain vigilant to prevent trafficking in women and children and take appropriate action to rehabilitate destitute children found in Railway areas.
- Co-operate with other departments of the Railways in improving the efficiency and image of the Indian Railways.
- Act as a bridge between the Government Railway Police/local police and the Railway administration.
- Adopt proactively all modern technology, best human rights practices, management techniques and special measures for protection of female and elderly passengers and children, in the pursuit of these objectives.
- Constable in RPF RPSF
- Sub-Inspector in RPF RPSF
- Inspector Prosecution and SI Prosecution in RPF
The Jagjivan Ram Railway Protection Force Academy, Lucknow runs Initial, Refresher, Specialized and other in-service courses.
The central assistance fund called Rail Suraksha Kalyan Nidhi (RSKN) provides financial assistance to force members & their families during Natural Calamities, Natural death, death in harness, death due to encounter with antisocial elements, Funeral expenses, Relief for Decategarisation/ Invalidation, Vipati Sahyata Kosh (in sicknesses like cancer, TB) and Ex- gratia Payment on Retirement, Resignation and Discharge from the Services of the Force.