Digital Locker is one of the key initiatives under the Digital India Programme - External website that opens in a new window. A beta version of the same has been already released by the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY), Govt. of India. Digital Locker is aimed at minimizing the usage of physical documents and enable sharing of e-documents across agencies.
With the help of this Portal, the sharing of the e-documents will be done through registered repositories thereby ensuring the authenticity of the documents online. Residents can also upload their own electronic documents and digitally sign them using the e-sign facility. These digitally signed documents can be shared with Government organizations or other entities.
- Enable digital empowerment of residents by providing them with Digital Locker on the cloud
- Enable e-Signing of documents and make them available electronically and online Minimize the use of physical documents
- Ensure authenticity of the e-documents and thereby eliminate usage of fake documents
- Secure access to Govt. issued documents through a web portal and mobile application for residents
- Reduce administrative overhead of Govt. departments and agencies and make it easy for the residents to receive services
- Anytime, anywhere access to the documents by the resident
- Open and interoperable standards based architecture to support a well-structured standard document format to support easy sharing of documents across departments and agencies
- Ensure privacy and authorized access to residents' data.
Components of Digital Locker System
Repository is a Collection of e-Documents which are uploaded by issuers in a standard format and exposing a set of standard APIs for secure real-time search and access.
Access Gateway provides a secure online mechanism for requesters to access e-documents from various repositories in real-time using e-Document URI (Uniform Resource Indicator). The URI is a link to the e-Document uploaded by an issuer in a repository. The gateway will identify the address of the repository where the e-Document is stored based on the URI and will fetch the e-Document from that repository.
- Dedicated 10MB free personal storage space, linked to each resident's Aadhaar, to securely store e-documents and to store URI link of e-documents for accessing them directly from the repositories.
- Sharing of secured e-documents with requesters.
- Currently accessible via web portal, will be made accessible through mobile application also.
- Integrated e-Sign service to digitally sign documents (refer e-Sign Brochure).
Digital Locker Portal
- Please visit digitallocker.gov.in - External website that opens in a new window to sign-up for Digital Locker using Aadhaar number.
- Residents can view the list of registered issuers and requesters on Digital Locker System.
How to Use Digital Locker
- For Residents
- In order to sign up for Digital Locker, a resident should have his/her Aadhaar number. Before signing up for a Digital Locker, it is necessary that your mobile number is linked to your Aadhaar number in the UIDAI system.
- Enter your Aadhaar number on the login field. A One Time Password (OTP) will be sent on your UIDAI registered mobile number. Enter the OTP in the field and an e-Know Your Customer (e-KYC) will be done with UIDAI.
- Once e-KYC is successful, residents can view the URIs of e-Documents which have been uploaded into the Digital Locker by various issuers. Resident can also upload e-documents in their Digital Locker and eSign them.
- Residents can share private documents with requesters by sharing a link to the e-Document to the email address of the requester.
- For Issuers
- An Issuer needs to register on Digital Locker System to get a unique Issuer ID.
- Once an ID is assigned, Issuer can upload the documents in a standard XML format in the designated repository using repository service provider API.
- Each document uploaded in the repository will have unique URI comprising of Issuer ID, Document Type and Document ID. The document URI will be pushed to the concerned resident’s Digital Locker based on his/her Aadhaar number.
- For Requesters
- A Requester needs to first register with an access gateway to onboard Digital Locker system.
- A Requester can use document URIs to securely retrieve the documents from the repository through an access gateway
- e-sign Service
- The e-sign service is in the pre-production phase and hence can be used for testing purpose only. The legal validity of e-Sign is not assured during the testing phase.
- National rollout of Digital Locker System
- Identification of Govt. agencies and Departments to be on boarded on Digital Locker System
- Setup of Apex committee, Core group, Digital Locker Management Office (DLMO) and Programme Management Unit as a part of governance structure
- Identification of implementation agency or agencies for architecture, implementation and operations of Digital Locker System
- Develop self-sustaining business
- Frequently Asked Questions - External website that opens in a new window
- DigiLocker Registration Progress - External website that opens in a new window
- DigiLocker Login - External website that opens in a new window
- DigiLocker Resources - External website that opens in a new window