A Central Sector Scheme - SAMPADA (Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters)was approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) in 2017. This umbrella scheme has now been renamed as the "Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY)" to be implemented by Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI).
PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana is a comprehensive package which aims to create modern infrastructure with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to retail outlet. It will not only provide a big boost to the growth of food processing sector in the country but also help in providing better returns to farmers and is a big step towards doubling of farmers income, creating huge employment opportunities especially in the rural areas, reducing wastage of agricultural produce, increasing the processing level and enhancing the export of the processed foods.
Objectives of PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana
- Creation of modern infrastructure for food processing mega food parks/ clusters and individual units
- To create effective backward and forward linkages - linking farmers, processors and markets
- To create robust supply chain infrastructure for perishables
Schemes to be Implemented
The following schemes will be implemented under PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana :
- Mega Food Parks
- To provide modern infrastructure for food processing units in the country.
- To ensure value addition of agricultural produce including dairy, fisheries etc.
- To establish a sustainable raw material supply chain for each cluster.
- To facilitate induction of the latest technology.
- To address the need of small and micro food processing enterprises by providing plug & play facilities.
- To provide an institutional mechanism for producers, processors, and retailers to work together to build the supply chain.
- Integrated Cold Chain and Value Addition Infrastructure
- To arrest post-harvest losses of horticulture & non-horticulture produce by providing financial assistance in setting up integrated cold chain, preservation and value addition infrastructure facilities without any break from the farm gate to the consumer.
- Creation/ Expansion of Food Processing/ Preservation Capacities (Unit Scheme)
- Creation/ expansion and / or modernization of processing / preservation capacities which will help in increasing the level of processing, value addition and thereby reduction of wastage.
- The setting up of new units and modernization/ expansion of existing unit will be covered under the scheme. The processing units undertake a wide range of processing activities depending on the processing sectors which results in value addition and/or enhancing shelf life of the processed products.
- Infrastructure for Agro-processing Clusters
- To create modern infrastructure for food processing closer to production areas.
- To provide integrated and complete preservation infrastructure facilities from the farm gate to the consumer.
- To create effective backward and forward linkages by linking groups of producers / farmers to the processors and markets through well-equipped supply chain.
- Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages
- To create effective backward & forward linkages for perishable agri-horti produce through setting up of primary processing centres / collection centres at farm gate, distribution hub and retail outlets at the front end.
- To provide preservation facilities for enhancing shelf life of perishable agricultural produce resulting in better remunerative prices to farmers.
- Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure
- To establish a surveillance system for monitoring the quality and composition of food.
- To analyse the samples received from processing industry and other stakeholders.
- To reduce the time for analysis of samples by reducing transportation time of samples.
- To ensure compliance of international and domestic standards on food in case of exports as well as imports.
- Human Resources and Institutions
- The objective of the scheme is that end product/outcome/findings of R&D work should benefit food processing industry in terms of product and process development, efficient technologies, improved packaging, value addition etc. with commercial value along with standardization of various factors viz., additives, colouring agents, preservatives, pesticide residues, chemical contaminants, microbiological contaminants and naturally occurring toxic substances within permissible limits.