The Department of Youth Affairs has been operating a number of Schemes for development and empowerment of youth. Some of the Schemes have Annual Outlay of less than Rs.10 crore. In order to improve the effectiveness of these Schemes, it has been considered necessary to merge these Schemes into a single Scheme, which can act as the flagship scheme of the Department. This will help in achieving better synergies between the Schemes and thereby, improve their effectiveness and help in achieving better outcomes with the available resources.
The Department of Youth Affairs had 10 major schemes up to 2015-16 and from financial year 2016-17 onwards, 8 schemes have been put under one umbrella scheme and two existing schemes have been kept separate.
The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports now has a new umbrella Scheme called 'Rashtriya Yuva Sashaktikaran Karyakaram' (RYSK) along with two other schemes namely National Service Scheme (NSS) and Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development (RGNIYD) for the development of adolescents and youth of the country. The proposed financial allocation for the above Schemes for 2016-17 is Rs.500 crore under Plan and Rs.96 crore under Non Plan.
The total budget allocation (Plan) for BE 2015-16 was Rs.384 crore which was Rs.369.38 crore at RE 2015-16. The allocation of funds has been increased in BE 2016-17 and has been kept as Rs. 500 crore.
Similarly the Non-Plan provision at BE 2015-16 was Rs. 75 crore which was Rs.84 crore at RE 2015-16 stage. For BE 2016-17 the provision has been increased and kept at Rs.96 crore.
The following existing Schemes/ Programmes shall get subsumed in the Rashtriya Yuva Sashaktikaran Karyakram (RYSK):
- Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS)
- National Youth Corps (NYC)
- National Programme for Youth and Adolescent Development (NPYAD)
- International Cooperation (IC)
- Youth Hostels (YH)
- Assistance to Scouting and Guiding Organisations
- National Discipline Scheme (NDS)
- National Young Leaders Programme (NYLP)
The planned budget allocation of Rs. 500 crore for 2016-17 has been divided amongst the three schemes as:
- 'Rashtriya Yuva Sashaktikaran (RaYS) Karyakram' containing all the above mentioned schemes - Rs. 350 crore
- National Service Scheme (NSS) - Rs.120 crore
- Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development (RGNIYD) - Rs.30 crore