Mahatma Gandhi communicated a quintessential message to the nation through his efforts to educate people around him about cleanliness. He wished to see a "Clean India" where people work hand in hand to make the country clean. To work seriously towards this vision of Gandhiji, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi - External website that opens in a new window launched the Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan - External website that opens in a new window on October 2, 2014 and asked people from all walks of life to help in successful implementation of this mission.
The mission seeks to achieve the goal of Clean India in next five years so that the 150th birth anniversary of Bapu can be celebrated as an accomplishment of this duty. Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan - External website that opens in a new window exhorts people to devote 100 hours every year towards the cause of cleanliness. As many as nine public figures: Mridula Sinha, Sachin Tendulkar, Baba Ramdev, Shashi Tharoor, Anil Ambani, Kamal Hasan, Salman Khan, Priyanka Chopra and Team Tarak Mehta ka Oolta Chashma - have been invited by the PM to make a contribution towards Swachh Bharat, share the same on social media, and invite nine other people to do the same, hence forming a chain. People also asked to share their contributions on social media using the hash-tag #MyCleanIndia.
MyGov - External website that opens in a new window presents a creative and collaborative platform to make the nationwide movement a resounding success. The platform brings together all collective efforts of citizens as well as organisations towards the mission with the help of technology. Any individual, a government institution or private organisation can participate in the mission. The mission aims to encourage people to devote some hours out of their daily activities and work towards cleanliness of India.
Be and individual campaigner
You can view challenges or start your own campaign - External website that opens in a new window by participating as an individual.
- Register yourself as a member of MyGov - External website that opens in a new window
- Take up the Pledge of dedicating your time for the Mission
- Showcase your cleaning activities through 'Before' and 'After' pictures
- You need to register/login
- Inspire others to take up a cleaning task with an invitation
- You may also accept someone else's Invitation or start your own campaign
Participate as Government Institution
The Government organizations can actively make contribution towards clean India by engaging in following activities.
- As a Government Institution, share your contribution towards the campaign with "Before" and "After" pictures and videos - External website that opens in a new window.
- If you are a government institution with @nic.in or @gov.in email id, you can directly login as an institution.
- Successful drives of Government institutions will be featured in the Timeline - External website that opens in a new window. Be a leading example for others to follow with your team efforts.
You can click here to view the activities of government institutions - External website that opens in a new window.
You can also contribute as an organisation - External website that opens in a new window and do following things for cleanliness.
- Showcase the drives and initiatives your organisation is taking up as a team to make working space cleaner with before and after pictures.
- If you are a Private organisation, Public Sector Unit, Community or a member of the Civil Society you are requested to login as an individual and then identify your organisation.
- Play a steering role in motivating other organisations too with your cleanliness initiatives!
Cleaning India Together
To create a chain of people who will work together and inspire others to clean their surroundings, MyGov - External website that opens in a new window presents a creative and collaborative platform, the Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan Portal - External website that opens in a new window, where participants will upload 'Before/After' pictures or videos - External website that opens in a new window of their efforts to clean a particular location. A registered participant will first take a pledge and thereafter challenge nine more people to take up the task of cleaning their surroundings. All challenges are to be completed within a certain period of time and they will be featured in the Timeline - External website that opens in a new window. The Swachh Bharat community will keep on adding up the number of volunteers who will execute the mission successfully in their respective locations. The aim of all these activities is to connect as many people as possible with the mission to create a mass movement for fulfilling Gandhiji's clean India dream by 2019.
A Clean and Green India
Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan - External website that opens in a new window is not just about cleaning surroundings but also seeking the participation of people in planting tree, creating trash-free environment, providing sanitation facilities and paving a way for Swachh Bharat eventually. A Clean India is of utmost importance for promoting the nation as an ideal destination for tourists from across the world. Images of unclean India often become a matter of embarrassment for Indians therefore this is the right time and opportunity to participate towards Swachh Bharat. This campaign will not only help citizens adopt good habits of cleanliness but also boost our image as a nation, sincerely working towards cleanliness.